Registrations (IFTA, IRP, & SMM)

Where can I get apportioned tags?

Apportioned tags can be obtained from the Colorado Department of Revenue, Motor Carrier Services Section. For more information, please contact the Colorado Department of Revenue, Motor Carrier Services Section at 303-205-5602.

Where do I get Special Mobile Machinery (SMM) registration?

Special Mobile Machinery (SMM) registrations are obtained from the County Clerk & Recorder’s office for the county in which the machinery will be used and domiciled in. SMM registrations should be obtained within 30 days of the SMM being brought into the State of Colorado, an individual’s ownership of the SMM OR before the machinery’s first use in Colorado. SMM is discussed in detail and defined within Title 42 of the Colorado Revised Statues (CRS). Generally speaking, SMM is machinery that is transported on Colorado highways whose primary purpose is not to be operated on a roadway as a vehicle.

What is IRP?

IRP is the International Registration Plan. IRP is a registration reciprocity agreement among the states of the United States and the provinces of Canada. IRP ensures the payment of license fees for each state or province an interstate commercial carrier conducts business through or within.

What does IRP require and what is the benefit of IRP?

IRP requires interstate commercial carriers to pay registration fees for the states or provinces where they will travel and conduct business. The amount paid for each state or province operated in by the carrier is determined by the total distance operated in all jurisdictions. IRP allows a carrier to submit a single application to a single base state for all jurisdictions in which the carrier operates. Without IRP, a carrier would have to submit to multiple registration requirements, filing multiple registration applications, one for each jurisdiction in which they would travel.

How much does IRP cost?

The cost of a carrier’s IRP varies and depends upon the type of vehicle, the GVW of the vehicle, the number of miles traveled and the number of jurisdictions the carrier will be traveling in. For more information about calculation of IRP cost, please contact the Colorado Department of Revenue, Motor Carrier Services Section at 303-205-5602.

I have an IRP and it has expired. How long do I have to renew my IRP? Is there a grace period like there is for my personal vehicle registration?

There is a grace period that permits the carrier the entire month following their IRP expiration date to renew their IRP.

Do I have to go to a physical office to make changes to or renew my IRP? Does the State of Colorado have an online option?

The State does have an online option. You can use “Revenue Online,” a service provided by the Colorado Department of Revenue to manage your IRP account. You can make payments, manage fleet and IRP applications and print temporary cab cards from this website. You are also able to view any payments and letters on your IRP account.

Who do I contact for additional information on IRP?

For additional assistance and information on IRP, you can call the Colorado Department of Revenue, Motor Carrier Services Section at 303-205-5602.

What is IFTA?

IFTA is the acronym for the International Fuel Tax Agreement. IFTA is a motor fuels excise tax agreement between the 48 continuous U.S. jurisdictions (states) and 10 Canadian provinces.

What is the purpose of IFTA?

IFTA is designed to promote the most efficient use of the North American highway system through uniform administration of the motor fuel taxation laws for commercial vehicles operating in the member jurisdictions.

How do I obtain an IFTA license?

To obtain an IFTA license, motor carriers should complete and submit an IFTA application, form DR7119. Form DR7119 can be downloaded from the Colorado Department of Revenue’s website. It is recommended that carriers register vehicles before applying for an IFTA license..

How do I renew my IFTA?

Colorado carriers are automatically renewed if all IFTA returns are filed, all taxes, penalties and interest have been paid and the carrier is in compliance with Colorado base jurisdiction laws. Colorado carriers are notified in November if their account is not in compliance. Renewal licenses and decals are sent to compliant carriers in December. IFTA licenses will not be renewed and may be closed for carriers not in compliance by December 31st.

Who do I contact for additional information on IFTA?

For additional assistance and information on IFTA, you can call the Colorado Department of Revenue, Motor Carrier Services Section at 303-205-5602.

Compliance, Safety and Accountability (CSA)

Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) is a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) initiative to improve large truck and bus safety and ultimately reduce crashes, injuries, and fatalities that are related to commercial motor vehicles. To learn more about the program and how it affects you as a carrier or driver, log onto the CSA Website.

CMCA’s staff is well versed in trucking regulations and issues. For more info, contact CMCA.